2010-03-09

that just happened - I think

Have you ever had one of those experiences where you "woke up" in the middle of it realizing you can't remember the last 3 minutes? The most common example is likely driving the interstate and not remembering the last 10 miles.

I had one of those moments this weekend. We were in the middle of a phil wickham song "cannons" during the first set. This is a song that I am pretty comfortable with but I wouldn't say I "own" it yet. As we rolled into the 2nd chorus I freaked because I could not remember singing the 2nd verse. Then I thought "I just sang the first verse again". Coming off stage I asked the crew "did I just double that verse?" they all assured me that I sang the correct lyric.

I've been trying to remember what distracted me. Was it my battle all weekend with my guitar tone? The people on the front row staring at the stage blankly? The extremely loud synth patch in my mix?

Not sure I'll figure it out but isn't it interesting that our minds can instruct our body to play the right chords with the right pickup selected, the correct strum pattern, sing the correct melody with the correct lyrics and be thinking about the really cool guitar lick I just heard or have thoughts about the people that are walking out of church early?

I'd like to think that I was so engaged in the experience that i was extremely comfortable but I have to ask myself if I kicked into autopilot and just got lucky!

- Posted using my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. I like that post. Sadly, I can relate to it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't think you can blame that smokin synth part for your mental shortcomings. It's like blaming the Mona Lisa for having dropped your ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grider could not figure out how NOT to be anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  4. UPDATE : i remember what distracted me. there was a young man in the front row that looked just like Kenneth on "30rock".

    ReplyDelete