2010-04-07

Gotta Get Back In Time . . .

after having "footloose" in the set this past weekend it got me thinking about all the great movie themes from my childhood. these are in no particular order and is far from an exhaustive list - just 10 tunes that aided me in my movie viewing experiences :

Gonna Fly Now (theme from Rocky)

who doesn't love the strings pumping and the choir of singers singing lyrics you can't understand but make you want to go for a 10 mile run through the city!




Walking On Sunshine (from The Secret of My Success)

Classic Michael J. Fox movie. I also remember hula hooping to this song in 4th grade gym class.









You Could Be Mine (from Terminator 3)

This is one of those songs that made me go see the movie. the second i hear the opening guitar riff there was no question i was going opening weekend.





Axel F (theme from Beverly Hills Cop)
Harold Faltermeyer took the classic instrumental movie theme to a whole new dimension using all synthesizers. this might be the most popular theme song from the 80's.







The Glory OF Love (love theme from Karate Kid II)

I always get this confused thinking its from the original Karate Kid movie. In fact - i'm not sure i ever even saw this movie - HOWEVER i have sung at the top of my lungs every time this song has come up on my iPod playlist.






Ghostbusters

who can forget the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man? even better who can forget the the ORIGINAL version of this song? thanks Huey for inspiring Ray Parker Jr.

ok - so i know this wasn't a movie at the time BUT i couldn't wait to see the cigar boat screaming across the water every week as the 16th note hi-hat and screaming guitar lick got me pumped up for tubbs and crockett to bust some cuban drug lord.

Never actually saw this movie all the way through but whoever wrote and directed this thing picked one of the most incredible songs to have cusak play through his jam box! i wonder what song he is jamming to in his latest flick "hot tub time machine"?

Gloria and the Miami Sound Machine are the 80's soundtrack band! Not only was this movie a huge hit (who doesn't love guttenburg) it created quite a buzz the the "ghost boy" in the background of this pic. turns out it was a cardboard cut out of ted danson in a tux.

Huey Lewis and the News solidify their stake as the quintessential 80's feel good band with this hit and The Power Of Love both written for what could be called the greatest 80's movie franchise (after Indiana Jones - and no i am not including Star Wars since it started in the 70's).

i miss the days when songs helped define movies - whats on your list?

5 comments:

  1. I agree with most of yours. Didn't really like In Your Eyes (from Say Anything) or Bad Boy (Opening Theme to Three Men and a Baby). Here are a few that I liked.

    1. "Don't You (Forget About Me)" – The Breakfast Club
    2. Holding Out For a Hero - Footloose
    3. Danger Zone - Top Gun
    4. "I'm Alright" - Caddyshack
    5. The Goonies 'R' Good Enough - The Goonies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, great post.
    I think in addition to yours, and a few of those above, I would have to add the following: (dljordaneku - man, how can you dislike ANYTHING from Peter Gabriel???)
    1. (Double Shot) Pretty In Pink - the Psyc Furs and If You Leave - OMD - Pretty In Pink
    2. Wierd Science - Oingo Boingo - Wierd Science
    3. Everybody Wants Some - Van Halen - Better Off Dead
    4. Happy Birthday - Altered Images - Sixteen Candles
    5. St Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion) - John Parr - St Elmo's Fire
    6. Hazy Shade of Winter - The Bangles - Less Than Zero

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few others listed on my FB page that I thought were great additions

    1. King of wishful thinking - from pretty woman
    2. Everything I do - from robin hood
    3. Don't you forget about you - breakfast club

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris I was never a big Peter Gabriel fan. I did almost add St. Elmo's Fire to my list. I can't hear that song and not think of my high school graduation. A good friend of mine was in a car wreck about two days before graduation. We got the call while I was over at another friend's house watching the movie. Everybody was fine but his girlfriend at the time had to spend some time in the hospital due to some serious broken bones in her legs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, I own Say Anything. You need to watch it.

    ReplyDelete