2010-02-24

seeing isn't always believing

As I've been working today I threw in the Eagles Farewell I DVD to listen to. I've always preferred to hear a live recording over the studio version - I can often imagine myself inside that experience much easier than a highly produced studio track (although i find great satisfaction in both). What i find interesting about this DVD (and i'm sure every eagles DVD I would watch) is that every time I take a glance at the TV I am completely taken out of the music. These guys are really difficult to watch! very little emotion, showmanship, and finesse - at least visually that is. As soon as i turn my eye back to my computer i can sense the emotion, finesse, and vibe. I think what makes this band survive in this era where look is as important as talent is their chemistry and overall approach to the "song". In this case Hearing is Believing.

(one other note - its really cool to see Frey sing along with the other members original tunes. It shows a real genuine respect for his peers)

3 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective. Its interesting to me to watch stuff like American Idol when they choose a marketable contestant over a talented one. I don't get all worked about it. After all, they're there to make money. But it's just funny to see an incredible singer voted off when they're clearly more talented. The question is, how does this translate to the church? Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. in the Idol world it has to be about both (i am in fact tuned in right know and shania just said that this kid has "nice lips"). when it comes to church its an interesting debate. on one hand you don't want a show for shows sake. on the other hand you want to motivate people to join in your expression. where i am today (and it changes often) is that most artists are introverts who, when behind their instrument, cannot help but express through their tools but this doesn't always result in a visible expression through their face/actions. take me for example - i always feel like i am engaged when playing but you could probably take a handful of services and point out major differences in my physical expression. more often than not if i am more physically expressive its as an interaction with the other artists or directly with God and NOT the audience. the audience interaction is another layer and a great result of my connection with the God and the art.

    as im typing a guy on Idol just sang a song "holding" an acoustic guitar on a song that it doesn't exist, just for the look it completely took away from the song - it was "put on" and distracting. we NEVER want to express inauthentically as to distract from the message. we want to express as the message impacts us.

    ReplyDelete